July 2002 Anticrastination Tip Sheet
What's the opposite of Procrastination?
THE ANTICRASTINATION TIP SHEET
A monthly Idea and Tip Sheet to
Help You Avoid the Procrastination Habit
From Rita Emmett
Author of THE PROCRASTINATOR'S HANDBOOK
Quote For The Month:
If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels
whisper to people when they go for a walk.
The Creation Of A Nation & Your Creativity
In July, we in the United States celebrate the creation of
our nation. So The ANTICRASTINATION TIP SHEET officially
declares July to be CREATIVITY MONTH. (Well who the heck
ARE those people who officially declare holidays and things like
that. Why can't you and I do the same?)
Let's celebrate ways to power up our own creativity for
those projects we've been MEANING to create but have
Have you wanted to start working on, or learn about:
- a musical instrument
- wood carving
- the computer
- building models
- cake decorating
- creating a pond or waterfall
- flower arranging
- or something?
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT TO WRITE A BOOK,
SUCH A DEAL WE HAVE FOR YOU. On our web site
(RitaEmmett.com) click on "products" and at the bottom,
you'll find our newest audio tape "JOURNEY TO AUTHORSHIP".
If you've had questions about writing a book, here are the
answers you've been looking for. Rita gives a presentation
that includes stories, questions & answers, and information
about writer's block, finding an agent or publisher, writing
proposals, promoting books, resources for writers and how to
obtain endorsements for your book. All for the amazingly low
price of $8.77 (When's the last time you saw a tape at THAT
You know we ALL are outrageously creative people. You might
find that hard to believe. If you have some fear or
hesitation inside you, and can't get started on that dream,
ask yourself, "What would I do if I knew I could not fail?"
If you DON'T have a dream to become more creative, here are:
20 Ways To Activate Your Undiscovered Creativity
(adapted from Roger Von Oech's book A Whack on the Side of
- Go to a bookstore and leaf through five books
normally would not pick up.
- Spend a minimum of half an hour in a toy store
or the toy
department of a large store. Play with a variety of toys.
Buy one for yourself, and take it home and play with it.
- Go to the library, and invest at least 20
looking at books or periodicals in a section of the library
you feel is of absolutely no interest to you.
- Plant some seeds for flowers or vegetables, and
observe the growth process.
- Attend a spectator sporting event that is new
- Observe two or more children under six years of
play. Become aware of their spontaneity, thought & action
processes, and leadership styles.
- Spend half an hour in a type of store you are
familiar with (e.g. antique, yard goods, photography,
- Learn the latest dance craze from a teenager.
- Listen to music on a different radio station
for a week. Begin to pick up specific differences in the
music and programming.
- Learn at least one new word each day. Try your
word on at least two people.
- Take a class or seminar in a subject you know
- Take a small child to the zoo, and afterwards,
pictures of the animals you see.
- Observe non-verbal behavior at a boring
- Spend half an hour at a shopping mall
- Personally select, purchase, prepare and eat a
fruit or vegetable you've never tried before.
- Visit an art gallery, science museum,
aquarium, or botanical garden you have never been to before.
- Join a new group; invite a group of people to
at a play or movie; do SOMETHING to get to know someone
new in your life.
- Whittle something, play with clay on a pottery
or do your own abstract painting.
- Dine in a foreign restaurant, and order food
never had before.
- Let your imagination wander and don't censor
Enjoy thinking of yourself as creative.
Take just 3 steps toward your dream.
Don't put it off. You don't want to procrastinate, do you?
Next month: Have you ever reached the end of summer and
wondered where it all went? Ever suspected that you maybe
even procrastinated about enjoying summer? In August, we'll
explore what to do about that. Have fun!